The Imp-ressive Squire

Moderator: Seneschal

Anomen

The Imp-ressive Squire

#1 Post by Anomen » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:15 pm

(In this binder are several pages that are being kept together. They seem to be part of a short story made for children.)

In the city of Stormwind, the streets are busy with people wandering about to do their daily activities. Shops are busy with selling their wares, guards are keeping an eye out and children are playing wherever they can.
But in one quarter, something else is brewing.
In the Mage Quarters, there is nothing visibly off happening as students of magic wander around.
But in one courtyard near a certain house, there seems to be something happening.

Chapter 1

“Pagmir, I’m telling you one more time... you’re an Imp!”
Those words were said by a white cat to the aforementioned Imp who was cackling and drawing with a stick in the dirt they were standing on.
It was quite an interesting sight for anyone who would be able to get a glance at it. A cat and an Imp not only gathered next to each other, but seemingly communicating? What madness is this?
Pagmir cackled again as he kept jabbing at a very badly drawn soldier.
“I know you want to be one of them but remember... YOU ARE AN IMP!”
The cat gave her friend a look of disbelief as he swung his stick around a few times, striking a heroic pose after defeating the oh so terrifying imaginary monster.
As she sighed again, Pagmir quickly dashed to her side and made circles around her before grabbing her head with both hands, staring in to her eyes as he laughed. Her name tag on her collar was very much visible and revealed that the cats name was Missus Whitley.
She stared back at him with a confused look before giving him a glare.
“How dare you suggest that I let you use me as your mount when you charge in to battle! I am not that kind of lady!”
A dejected sound came from the small Imp as he sat back down on the ground, sitting there with quite a sad look.
Missus Whitley sat down next to him and put a paw on his shoulder.
“I’m sorry, Pagmir... but it just doesn’t seem achievable.”
They sat in silence before Pagmir quickly jumped up and let out a sound of glee, the cat already internally screaming.

Anomen

Re: The Imp-ressive Squire

#2 Post by Anomen » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:55 pm

Chapter 2

In between all of the busyness on the streets, the two friends make their way through the legs, feet and hooves of the people walking around.
Pagmir happily cackled to Missus Whitley as he twirled in between every person.
“The Cathedral District!? Pagmir, I don’t want to be rude but your ki-”
Her words that were very much true were interrupted when a group of Paladins marched over the bridge towards the Cathedral Square.
One of the knights seemed to be followed by a dog, fitted with his own set of protective armour.
The Imp let out a squeal of joy and jumped up and down, pointing towards the dog.
The cat followed his pointing and blinked a few times.
“...are you kidding me...”
The group made its way through the entrance towards the Square and Pagmir rushed after them while Missus Whitley ran after him as she yelled at him to come back.
She was greeted by the dog running off with a manically cackling Pagmir in its maw.
“You damn scamp, why are you enjoying being in life threatening danger!?”
She ran after them, following them until the dog stopped in an alley and dropped the Imp down before sternly talking to him in a male voice.
“Pagmir, how many times have I told you to stop coming here?”
The Imp doesn’t seem to mind the scolding at all as he just continues to laugh, now circling around the dog that seems to be so done with his antics.
The dog looks down at the white cat when she approaches, a curious look is given as he inspects her.
Missus Whitley however, doesn’t feel intimidated the slightest at the much bigger animal dressed in armour.
“Hello? Yes, you. That is my friend you have there. If it wouldn’t be too much for your small brain, could I get him back?”
The dog tilts his head at the cat, his teeth being bared in as close as a dog can get to grinning as Pagmir climbs up on his back.
“Small brain? You’re smaller than me, little kitty cat. And from what I can feel, our friend is already settling down on my back.”
Just as he was saying, the Imp was already firmly seated on top of the dog and waving around a stick as he cackles.
The cat gives the both of them an unamused look.
“You know, Pagmir... just because he lets you use him as your slave, doesn’t mean he’s a better friend, you jerk.”
And so ensued a long talk between the three.

Anomen

#3 Post by Anomen » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:00 pm

Chapter 3

“So... this little guy wants to become a knight? Pagmir... the Imp... a knight.”
The dog, who gave his name as Sir Barkthur, looks to the side at said Imp slashing his stick at the wall several times before charging at it, face planting against it before comically falling backwards.
The cat makes a face that is quite similar to a grimace as she looks at the cackling Imp as he rolls around on the ground.
“...You have to admit, he shrugs off anything that would hurt him without a thought. But indeed, it seems that he wishes to become a knight.”
Sir Barkthur looks down at the cat and makes a sound that suggests he is considering something.
“I can’t help him become a knight so easily... but as far as us critters can go; I am a knight. And well, what does a knight take on usually?”
He snickers as he looks at the Imp trying to get up, managing to do so after slipping and falling several times.
“You? A knight? All I see is a mangy mutt that is dressed up for Hallow’s End.”
The dog gives the cat an unamused look as Pagmir runs up to jump in front of him, happily cackling.
“Even if your other friend likes to call me names, I’ll happily take you on as my squire, Pagmir.”
And with that, Pagmir stared up at the dog with his head tilted in silence.
Missus Whitley moves to his side and jabs at him a few times, no reaction at all coming from the usually so expressive Imp.
“I think you broke him, Bark.”
“How can you break that which is already broken?”
“I don’t know but you did it, you mutt.”
While the two are bickering like your mommy and daddy do on occasion, Pagmir is registering the meaning of what was said.
He lets out a faint chuckle as he looks up at the dog, who responds with a nod and a doggy smile.
Meanwhile, a group of people are gathered in front of the Cathedral as they speak about the light.
"The Light will always bless us! We will always have the strength we need to go on!"
Watching them is a small raccoon dressed up in a white robe, their arms crossed as they watch over the sermon with interest.
Their sermon is interrupted by a very loud cackle that could be heard throughout the entire city.
Somewhere... something either very horrible or very impressive happened.

Anomen

#4 Post by Anomen » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:57 pm

Chapter 4

“Pagmir, that is a.... go ahead.”
As Sir Barkthur looks on in disbelief, Pagmir charges at a training dummy and manages to impale the butter knife he was wielding straight through it.
The Imp lets out a laugh of joy as he does a victory dance, his two friends looking at him like he is a madman... on second thought, he is most definitely mad.
Meanwhile, a young boy is carrying several pieces of combat gear with him as he’s going to the barracks, grumbling to himself.
“Go on, kid... you can take it all by yourself... I swear, the next time I see that guy, I’ll knock him down harder than a- WHAT THE, ARGHHHH!”
The intriguing conversation between him and himself was interrupted by him walking in on an Imp stabbing the training dummy multiple times as a cat and dog watched, his screaming in surprise causing him to drop all of the stuff he was carrying.
It all clutters to the ground with loud clangs and noises, attracting the attention of the three misfits at the dummy.
“That kid... why is he so scared?”
The cat tilts her head at the boy and Sir Barkthur lets out a chuckle.
“Maybe because he just walked in to a gathering of a cat, a dog and an Imp and said Imp is mercilessly stabbing a person made out of hay?”
Pagmir continues to cackle as his stabbing doesn’t stop.
“You’re horrible!” “Enjoy yourself!”
While they are chatting with each other, the boy is staring in shock as the cat keeps meowing, the dog keeps barking and the Imp is still cackling sinisterly enough to make a shiver run down his spine.
“This is all just a bad dream, you’re going to wake up in your bed with a fever soon, Bennie... just walk away like nothing happened and wait till you wake up...”
As he is softly mumbling to himself, the boy turns around and makes his way away from the training yard and leaving all of the stuff behind.
The two animals look at each other and give a shrug as best as the both of them can give, moving towards the gear that is on the ground.
They gather it up in a pile and inspect it, Pagmir eventually joining in on looking it over.
It seems that all in all, they have a chain mail shirt, a steel helmet, a pair of leather gloves and a sword.
“You know, if only we could make this all change sizes. That would give Pagmir the perfect equipment to finish up his entry to being my squire.”
Almost as if on cue, Pagmir begins to jump around the pile while cackling with glee.
Missus Whitley hisses and jumps back, her hairs all pointing up as she looks at the Imp.
“There he goes with the Demonic again... He is pulling some magic thingy!”
Sir Barkthur calmly steps back as well while keeping an eye on the gathered pile of armour, watching it slowly change sizes and shape until it seems to be both small and fitting enough for Pagmir to use as his own.
The scamp begins to put on the gear as he happily laughs, looking quite adorable as he now looks like a small soldier... minus the glowing eyes and horns going through his helmet.
Sir Barkthur looks at him with an impressed look as Missus Whitley can’t stop herself from rolling around while laughing.

Anomen

#5 Post by Anomen » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:04 pm

Chapter 5

And so, the three made their way through the city while chatting with each other, ending up in the docks.
“Look, like it or not... dogs are much better. We can be used for combat, after all.”
“Yeah, cats are useless. Come back to me on that when you discover another way of getting rid of all of these rats.”
“Rats aren’t so bad; mice are the actual horror we need to deal with.”
“Actually, rats rule and the other pets drool.”
Missus Whitley and Sir Barkthur look at each other in confusion at the new voice, taking a few moments before noticing Pagmir being surrounded by seven rats wearing blue capes, using thumbtacks as helmets and several assortments of cutlery between them... all pointed at the Imp that just laughs at them.
“How dare you insult my mother by calling her a jungle rat, you uncultured demon!”
The cat just stares at the scene with a look of disbelief, Sir Barkthur stepping forward to speak with the whiskery brigade.
“You would not attack a fellow knight or hold them under suspicion, right?”
The biggest of the rats tilts his head and turns towards the dog, he is the only one without a thumbtack as a helmet, instead foregoing that for a hood that matches his red cape.
He points his adorably sized rapier at the dog.
“As far as we know, he isn’t a knight nor a squire under anyone. But seeing as you are with him, Sir Barkthur... we’ll hold our weapons. For now.”
All of the rats put away their weapons and end up standing in formation in front of the other three.
Missus Whitley tilts her head at them before she speaks.
“Do you mischief usually point stuff at random people you meet on the street or are we just that lucky?”
The leader rat scoffs and shakes his head, looking over the three with a curious look.
“We are the Knights of the Squeaking Table and we are sworn to protect this city from all that is evil an-”
While he is striking a heroic pose in the middle of his speech, he is interrupted by a group of dockhands that yell out at them.
“Oi, you bloody rats again?” “And they have an Imp as well this time!” “Chase them away!”
And immediately as the men start to run towards the gathered group of small critters, they all split up and scurry away.

Anomen

#6 Post by Anomen » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Chapter 6

After the chaos that happened, the leader rat and Pagmir have found themselves hiding in an alley together.
The rat has stayed silent up to this point while the Imp has been constantly cackling to him, finally making him break his composure.
“Do you ever shut up!? I am up to here with you! Pagmir, you are without a doubt the single most annoying creature I have ever met. And I have met my own mother!”
For a short moment, Pagmir stays silent... and then begins cackling again, causing the rat to let out a groan of frustration.
“Fine, I’ll give you my name if that is what you so wish to know... I am Sir Rattiger of the Knights of the Squeaking Table. We are the ones that protect the city from evildoers. There are seven of us, myself included.”
And so, he told stories of their exploits. Of how Sir Sniffleton managed to distract an entire platoon of kittens with his sniffling, the wonderful tale of how Beans became to be known as Dangerous Beans from then on and the heart wrenching tale of how Whiskers followed in his father and grandfather’s footsteps and became Whiskers the Third.
Yet we can’t forget about their messenger, Frederic Fleetfoot who manages to run faster than a child can kick a ball. Nor shall we forget the courageous epoch of how Nick tried to sacrifice himself and managed to get out by the last bits of his whiskers, making him be called Nearly Whiskerless Nick.
And then finally, you had their youngest and newest member. Ratticus van der Rattus. Nothing much can be said about him so far because, well... he literally joined yesterday but specifics, specifics.
When Sir Rattiger finished the stories, Pagmir cackled at him and tilted his head, the rat instantly tensing up and turning his back to the Imp.
“You wish to know about my story... I am the last remaining founding member of the Knights of the Squeaking Table. We will forever remember the ones that are no longer with us... and we visit them on Wednesdays at the retirement lodge.”
As the rat lets out a chuckle, Pagmir looks outside of the alley and laughs at Sir Rattiger.
“It is time for us to be on our way? Let us be off, then.”
The two of them go on their way back towards the docks and they spot the other critters, quickly rushing over to them.
As they run past several crates, one of them is shaking heavily yet they don’t notice it in their excitement to get back to their group.
After a while of the shaking, the crate falls down and breaks open, water leaking out of it and a sound of crying can be heard.

Anomen

#7 Post by Anomen » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:12 pm

Chapter 7

‘Go in, go out. Fast and assured. No need for violence.’
Those are the thoughts that went through Dusky as she made her way around the Cathedral District, looking for whatever made that horrible noise earlier.
As she made her way around, she had several people take a second look at her.
After all, it isn’t every day you see a raccoon dressed up like a priest or walk around on their hind legs everywhere.
“What are you up to, Dusky? Trying to convert more to the Light?”
She looked to her side to see a snake slithering around her, an ugly hat on his head.
“None of your business, Dice. And I remember last time that I told you to never talk to me again.”
With a hiss, the snake quickly disappeared and the raccoon was left to sigh as she wondered where to look next.
Then she saw it. She saw an Imp followed by a cat and a dog. That demon must have been the one making that noise!
Quickly, she began to follow after them to track them and make sure to see what they were doing.
She checked to make sure that they wouldn’t notice her and she followed them to the training grounds.
After watching that weird event happen where Pagmir got his armour, she followed them towards the docks as well and was surprised when they all split up, making her lose track of them.
“Oh, Dusky... you have done it again...”
She sighed and went to sit down on some crates to think about what to do next.
Should she continue to look if this Imp was the culprit? Or should she turn in for the day and find a nice place to sleep for the night?
Some time passed as Dusky sat there in silence until she saw the Imp run past her with a rat.
She stands up to follow after them but then she notices a crate shaking, her head tilting as she curiously looks at it.
“What is going on with that crate?”
And then it fell down, water crashing out of it as it broke open and the sound of crying came out of it.
She rushes over and moves some of the debris to reveal something she didn’t expect to see.

It was a small creature that she had never seen before...
But then she realized it.
This was a naga!
A child naga?
She sits down and tries to comfort the small creature, not quite knowing what is best to do for some blood thirsty thing but she manages well enough.
It looks up at her with a curious look as its crying stops, Dusky responding with a kind smile.
While they share this sweet moment, a group of dock workers walk past and notice them.
“Wot is this?” “First we find a group of rats....” “...with an Imp...” “And now a bloody Naga with a Raccoon playing dress up!” “Serve the princeling and kill the horrid creature!”
Dusky immediately rushed up and hissed at the men, positioning herself in front of the defenceless child.
The men weren’t intimidated in the slightest but that changed when out of nowhere, Pagmir jumped out and started to cackle at them.
They stopped in their tracks and looked very confused before flames began to nip at their feet, causing them to run away in fright.
Dusky didn’t move an inch as she continued to put herself in between the Imp and the child, looking over the demon with a look of suspicion.
“While I appreciate the help, I don’t trust you, demon. Go back to whence you came and leave this innocent child alone!”
Pagmir tilts his head as he looks over the raccoon, beginning to chuckle to it as he moves his hands in a non-threatening manner.
“What do you mean, you don’t mean any harm? You’re a demon! All you can do is mean harm!”
The Imp winced at that, a sad look on his face as he let out a whine.
Dusky looked over the demon again and seemed to think for a moment.
How could a demon be this... friendly?
“You’re... serious about not meaning to do anything to harm either myself or this child?”
Pagmir nods a few times as his group approaches them, Sir Barkthur and Missus Whitley immediately rushing to his side.
“Who are you?” “You better not be trying to mess with him!”
Dusky looks at the dog first before looking at the cat, wondering why they seem to be friendly with the Imp.
She stands down and lowers her hands, the Naga child hiding behind her but poking their head out to look at the other critters.
Sir Rattiger immediately notices the child and pulls out his weapon before getting glared at by Pagmir, begrudgingly sheathing it again.
“What... is that thing?”
As Sir Barkthur utters those words, everyone circles around the child and looks it over with great curiosity.
“It is a child! Please don’t gi-”
While Dusky tried to plead with them to leave the Naga alone, the dock workers came back... with guards in tow.
“See!?” “We told you that they had a Sushi-in-the-making and a trash digger!” “Don’t forget the bloody Imp!”
Pagmir looks at everyone and cackles before quickly running off, everyone following him as the Naga was placed on Sir Barkthur’s back.

Anomen

#8 Post by Anomen » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:06 pm

Chapter 8

They all went their own way after that.
The rats went back to their headquarters, Missus Whitley went back to her owner, Sir Barkthur returned to his barracks, Dusky took the Naga with her and Pagmir went back to the Mage Quarters to find his home.
As the night went and the day came, Pagmir suited himself up in his armour again.
And now we find our rag tag group of... heroes? Knights? Protagonists? Let’s just keep it at critters.
Now we find our rag tag group of critters walking through Elwynn Forest.
“Pagmir, not that I have anything against you making new friends... but do you really think she should be with us?”
The Imp just stared at Missus Whitley with a confused look, glancing towards the robed raccoon that is gently helping the Naga child move along with them.
“I must agree with my mortal enemy... what would motivate a lady of the cloth to follow a demon?”
Sir Rattiger chimes in as he is seated on Sir Barkthur, the dog seemingly still half asleep as he just grunts in agreement.
Pagmir easily shut them up with a simple, short laugh.
They found themselves setting up camp near a lake and laughter came from them all.
Eventually they all sat around a campfire... well, all of them besides Sir Barkthur who went to sleep almost immediately.
“We are not naming them Nagaface McNagaling. And I am astonished that I even need to state that.”
Dusky looks at the rat with a horrified look as the rest is all laughing.
“I’m just stating that no one woul-”
As the whiskery knight is defending himself, the Naga child chimes in.
“Sushi! Sushi! SUSHI!!”
They all turned to look at the excited child, exclaiming the previous insult as his preferred name.
“Sushi... You know, on second thought... can we still go fo-” “SUSHI!!”” “Sushi it is...”
And so, they spent the rest of the night chatting about silly things, bonding and becoming what people call... acquaintances.
When they woke up, all of them besides the lazy dog went to take a dip in the lake.
“How is this race fair, the sashimi is a fish!”
Missus Whitley sputters as she is falling behind, obviously not the best swimmer.
The rest besides Sushi are all going at the same pace, the little Naga very much ahead in laps already.
They continue to enjoy their time until they hear a sound of true terror.
A sound that tells you that you will have to run or fear getting encircled by the foul creatures.
“Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!”