A killing with a gold-trim Midnight Team: Violence, Death, Treason

Moderators: Chit, Officer

Nomine
Site Admin

A killing with a gold-trim Midnight Team: Violence, Death, Treason

#1 Post by Nomine » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:47 pm

A killing with a gold-trim.

Themes: Violence, betrayal, treason (against SI:7), death.
- If these themes are not interesting, or something that is triggering. Please stop here.

Size: Small group, test run 3-7 players.
NPC: 1-2 would be lovely, high risk of death.
Levels: Northrend Abby, clothes matter more than level.

"He peers at me across gold-rimmed glasses. It is not real gold, of course, if it were, it would have been smelted down to pay for the war's. A gold coin don't go far, not as it costs 15 000 silver to keep one regiment in the field for a month. But it is the dedication, the willingness to sacrifice that matters to the service. That is really what he asks, am I willing to send one of mine, to do the SI:7's dirty work."

"Funny thing, I ain't willing to forget that he asked"

First Midnight Team job.
It fills two functions, it gives Nomine a sense of vengeance and closure after this job: viewtopic.php?p=8283#p8283 (If successful)
If it fails, it leads to character development in terms of working for SI:7 - which might impact more characters.

Secondly, challenges one of Starlight's long-held rules, "Do not fight inside Stormwind." which implies, we support the alliance - what does it then mean to go against a member(s) of SI:7? What does it mean if we also are facing somebody we know and care for?
Nomine does this to send a message, that Starlight is not to be used as a tool by SI:7, which guild-lore wise have been a risk in the past. It was also one of the reasons ICily, that Starlight had a break as a guild.

A character development question: What does it mean to be loyal, when is it acceptable to harm or even kill people as a result of loyalty, of protecting others. Even if you are only aiding - Is there a difference in attacking somebody who also claims to fight for the alliance, as opposed to an enemy from the horde?
What about the innocent bystanders, what happens if they get mixed up in this? (Part of what happens is that Morrigan does a distraction job, which also may very well lead to the death of people living in Stormwind.)

One assumption: As SI:7 is, in its essence, a spy organization, they are unlikely to send/use normal Stormwind guards to clean up their mess/arrest people. There is a war going on, and they have to appear professional and handle their own mess.

Saturday 30.11 - Start ca 20:30 - Expected duration, ca 1 -1.5 hours.

Nomine
Site Admin

Re: A killing with a gold-trim Midnight Team: Violence, Death, Treason

#2 Post by Nomine » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:48 pm

So, far I got Morrigan, Lumi on the list of participants - working on adding a couple of names

Varric

#3 Post by Varric » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:52 pm

I'm in with brianshaw once he knows about the midnight team.

Syrawenn

#4 Post by Syrawenn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:02 pm

As stated Syra would like to be in as backup (as in: she knows she's not brilliant in the front lines, but she does a good job watching their backs! I don't mean sit on the bench as a reserve player :P ))

Chit

#5 Post by Chit » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Chit will come. Where do we need to be? And you say clothes are important, what's the dress code? Armour or infiltration

Nomine
Site Admin

#6 Post by Nomine » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:29 am

Near Northshire Abby, Nomine will be there around 20:10-20:15, to Start with.
NPC`s are not needed before 20:30 as they will start inside the abby.

NPC`s start inside, on the first floor.

It is dressed for infiltration, sneaking around in stealth, in a place that is used to Defias thieves, SI:7 and more. It is not likely to go well.

Anomen

#7 Post by Anomen » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:46 pm

Probably no room left but if there is, I'm interested in joining with Anomen.
Also up for playing NPCs if their is no room for me to join as my character.

Nomine
Site Admin

#8 Post by Nomine » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:05 pm

Feedback is welcome, and wanted!

Especially on the idea of keeping the "End boss" off screen, rather than to use him as an active NPC during the event.
Ideas, and suggestions for possible consequences are also welcome!

Anomen

#9 Post by Anomen » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:13 pm

It was fun playing on another side than Starlight's for once. I found it to all have gone well and everyone was working together very well to make sure people were kept busy.
Would love to NPC again for another one at some point.
Though help remind me to get an insurance company going for them so they can get the help and treatment they deserve after the traumatic events that Starlight puts them through.
I rate it a Missus Whitley/10.
Pauses
Meows

Syrawenn

#10 Post by Syrawenn » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:24 pm

As before I am in fact quite happy it does not always come down to a fight. It challenges me to think of other ways to try and be effective. Sometimes that works, sometimes that doesn't :) I think last night had me at a disadvantage cause li'l troll came downstairs again, so I kept myself working on the fringes, not much of a challenge :P

Yet at the same time that demonstrates the power of a set up like this, because everyone had a chance to distract 'their' npc's, some in more dramatic ways than others.

I wonder how it was for you as gm, Noms. You had good support from played npc's, which must have helped, but there were quite a lot of players to throw something at and I think they all had something to do, so...whew, multitasking :)

I loved the consistency of pc's and npc's observations. Miern recognizing people, people playing on connections with each other to strengthen stories, Philias' prosthetics being noticed, things that are so 'normal' to most of us that no one stopped to think it might pose a problem later on. Love it. THAT is development.