Seeking the advice of a Fel woman

Moderators: Chit, Officer

Liathene

Seeking the advice of a Fel woman

#1 Post by Liathene » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:58 am

Liathéne took the first cautious steps into the Hatherford Inn, looking around to make sure she remembered each face. It took only a few seconds for a set of familiar eyes to lock onto hers.
The elf smiled politely, almost politely, and rose from her comfortable seat, placing her book neatly on the table beside her.
“Welcome to Tide’s Inn” the Innkeeper told Liathéne, looking with her towards the other elf. He recognized now that she was not there for anything he could provide.
Liathéne approached the elf hesitantly, still feeling that she might change her mind any second, but she saw no other option. Her heart was racing, telling her to run, still, after all these years and all that she had learnt.

She stood for just a fraction too long trying to find the strength to begin speaking.
“Welcome to Hatherford, Kal’dorei. How may I be of service?” The elf spoke with a soft, warm voice and perfect cadence.
Liathéne, on the other hand, could not conceal her unease. When she replied, her voice would not carry its usual tone, and began with a slight stutter that was outside of her control. Pitiful, she thought to herself. “I c-come to seek a miss Czele…”
“You have come to the right place, then. What brings you to me?”
“I fear it’s not something for… here” Liathéne looked into the pair of eyes that caused her so much fear in the past, and she felt small and feeble. She hated herself for even having thought of doing this. I should have known, she thought, that I wouldn’t be strong enough to keep this on a business level.
Czele nodded simply and gestured for Liathéne to go upstairs with her, and they walked in silence. Liathéne understood why Czele would have her walk ahead, but every corner she turned she still felt more uneasy. On their way up the first flight of stairs, Czele nodded to a large man standing about the sitting area of the inn. He knew what to do.

The two elven women sat down opposite each other at a small table at the far end of the hall, their demeanours being polar opposites of one another.
“Might we begin with introductions, then? You seem to know something of me, of course…” Czele began.
Liathéne nodded, replying in just more than a whisper. “Yes, I’m… I’m Liathéne, of… of Starlight.”
“Ah, yes, then I know who you are. Your business here?” Czele said, raising an eyebrow and leaning back in her chair.
Liathéne found her voice, just barely, and began: “Well… I understand you know how to work with certain magics that are not… looked well upon, and well… some friends of mine have come into trouble with someone… dangerous. I’m seeking knowledge… or help… to know how to defeat this person.”
Czele tilted her head, her face set in an expression that might be interpreted by some as amused.
“I’ve come to understand that he may be a type of person that is not easily killed by… conventional methods, and it’s very important that if we kill him that he... stays dead” Liathéne concluded, frowning.
“That is a predicament indeed” Czele replied. “And you seek access to my books? Advice?”
“I’m actually not entirely sure, I guess that’s the problem.”
Czele’s expression changed, it now seemed closer to tired than amused.
“I know his name, and I know that some people call him a mind mage… but he uses demons, so I’m pretty sure you would recognize his magics. And I… I need to find a way to kill him proper, quickly” Liathéne was more serious by the end of the sentence. This part she was sure of. She would go very far indeed to make sure he died before he could seek his next target.
“Do correct me if I am wrong” Czele began, “But you have come to me, knowing of my magics, to seek a way to destroy someone quite like myself. Considering my history with your friends, not to mention your part in that, one could excuse me for being cautious.”
Liathéne’s eyes widened. Czele knew a lot more than she had been aware of. Liathéne stammered her way into the next sentence “I know… I know this looks bad, but… I’d have never sought your help if I could think of another way. This man he… he is coming for us”
“And I am to take it you are more afraid of him than of me?” Czele let forth a smile that was barely allowed to exist, but still changed her expression just enough to make the blue of her eyes seem to burn brighter.
Liathéne straightened her back and made real eye contact for the first time. She had asked herself this same question several times on the way here and she knew the answer too well. “Yes and no. I consider him an immediate and serious threat to the safety of my friends of Starlight, but I have reason to believe you may be powerful enough to investigate him or even… even defeat him. That’s why I came to you.”
“This reason being?” Czele seemed, for once, genuinely curious.
“When we had him surrounded in a cave, he left his felguard to fight us while he escaped through a portal. We all survived. I think if it had been you… we would not have all made it out of there.”
Czele allowed the smile to form more properly. “That would depend how many of you I had to fight off, I am sure. But it is unlikely I would ever find myself in such a position.”
“You wouldn’t let yourself get surrounded?”
“I am always surrounded” Czele replied, chuckling at Liathéne, “however, I tend not to dwell in caves.”
Unsure as to whether Czele was trying to seem modest by not admitting her power, or if she was just unwilling to claim herself more powerful than someone who had escaped them, Liathéne dropped her point, looking down for a few moments.
“His name?”

As if at once, the two elves’ ears twitched, reaction to sounds coming from downstairs. They looked at each other. None made a comment, still listening.
The large man standing guard at the stairs was on his way up, and turned the corner.
“I ‘pologize Mistress. Some human girl downstairs sayin’ she’s Annie, here’ta read a book ‘bout illusions. Som’fin ‘bout breakin’ a spell. Wearing the Starlight tabard, too, an’ there’s a large, scary-lookin' cat with ‘er.”
“I see. Interesting.” Czele looked at Liathéne for a second, judging her reaction. She then stood up, and grabbed a nearby tome, passing it to the guard. “Give her this” she said, “and let her know she may read downstairs today.”
“As ya wish, Mistress.” The guard bowed and went on his way.

Czele turned to Liathéne, both elves had lowered their voices by now, seemingly by habit.
“Seems your friends are here.”
Liathéne had gone pale. She never thought the letter would reach Tikál this fast. She had been here half an hour, if that. Damn mages and their portals. Why were they never there when you needed them and always working when they shouldn’t?
“I… didn’t know how well this would go, and I might’ve left a note saying where I was going” she admitted point blank. No point lying.
“You thought I would hurt you?” Czele asked, not entirely expecting an answer.
The guard came back. “Mistress, she’s sayin’ she needs yer help with the spell.” He did not appear to have believed the excuse for a second.
“I shall be right there” Czele replied in a tone which said she was of the same mind, and the guard nodded and went away.
“They’re gonna drag me outta here. I didn’t ask if anyone else thought it was a good idea to ask for your help…” Liathéne’s voice was full of apology and shame.
Czele turned to Liathéne quickly. Her expression had returned to passivity, as had her voice. “Do you still request it?”
Liathéne nodded.
“Very well. I take it you realize my aid in such a matter will not come free?”
Liathéne nodded again.
“His name?”
“Fennelwald”
Czele raised an eyebrow, and came closer, holding out her hand. Liathéne knew she should not shake hands with this woman, but politeness told her to say goodbye with manners. As their skin touched, Liathéne felt a tiny sting inside her head, as though a hair had been plucked, had that hair been memory. Not knowing what she had given to Czele in that moment, feeble from exhaustion and worry, she simply looked back into the eyes she had feared for years. The eyes that had motivated her to seek her calling, to always grow stronger.
Czele nodded politely to her, muttering a short incantation as she turned to go downstairs.
“You will share any information you have with my associate. You will not have much time.”
An expression of confusion spread on Liathéne’s face just before it turned to fear as she was pulled through shadow and into… oh no. Not this.

[As Tikal, Syra and Anomen were there for the rest, I’ll stop the story here. 😊 ]