Any port in a storm

Moderators: Chit, Officer

Rumour

Any port in a storm

#1 Post by Rumour » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:44 pm

The railing creaks. It has gotten weathered, old, like me - Some would claim, it has gotten character with age.

They lie.

The sea, wind and time have had their way with it - my fingers trace the grooves in the wood, smooth and worn. Nothing like me. Split, splintered, all raw edges and rage.

One false step, oh my poor dear girl.. One false step and into the abyss of the dark you stumbled.

The sharp sting of slivers of wood under my nails bring me back to the present. White knuckled I stand, gripping that damn railing as if it is a haven in a storm, or a neck to wring. Sleek hands slide over mine, warm with that familiar rough-yet-still-soft feel to them.

She asks, 'Would you like to be the hero?'

And my thoughts say, No. The hero suffers. The hero loses. The hero dies.

Out loud, 'I already am.'

Rumour

Re: Any port in a storm

#2 Post by Rumour » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:39 pm

It is a lonely feeling when someone you care about becomes a stranger.

It starts off with little things. Time between letters increased, the writing inside haven gotten brief and short, void of actual substance. Finding him vast asleep in bed while he used to wait up for you to come home. Listless repeats of the phrase 'That's nice, dear', as you try to kindle that feel of connection.

Like a hot cup of tea left out on the deck, warmth slowly wafting and drifting off into air.

My thumb turns in restless circles, tracing the knot in the rail over and over and over. I am stalling, and I know it.

A whimper, a little more than a breathless sigh comes from my right. My one good eye darts over in reflex.

Hush now, it all will be over soon.