MJ's Common Sense Roll System

Helpful info and tips for RPers new and old!

Moderator: Seneschal

Puttock

MJ's Common Sense Roll System

Post by Puttock »

Hello Starlight~!

In this Thursday's event I introduced my combat roll system, with what I'd like to call great success.

It's meant to be a simple system designed to augment role play by adding a character-specific chance factor in competitive emoting, especially (but not limited to) combat. I can't emphasise this enough: the rolls are here to introduce an element of chance without impairing or guiding RP, but rather to complement it, and keep the character's abilities and possibilities intact.

Each character has two stats: PHYSICAL (PHY) and MAGIC (MAG).

PHYSICAL represents anything your character does through physical effort: punching, running, lifting, etc.

MAGIC represents anything your character does metaphysically, usually through spells but not limited to them. This can include alchemical effects, and so forth.

Combat works through opposing rolls. The attacker uses the relevant stat, PHY or MAG, against the defender's relevant stat, again PHY or MAG.

For instance, if Stoen were to smack his trophy wife with his hand, he'd roll his PHY. If Lumi were to defend through magic (such as a barrier) she'd roll MAG; if she tried to dodge or block, she'd roll PHY.

Each stat is assigned a fixed value from 1 to 100. This value is intended to represent things such as physical or mental condition and health, skill, experience, and so forth. All characters have both PHY and MAG stats but this does not enable them to use magic, if they are not capable of doing that. The stats are there to provide a roll system for your existing RP and nothing else.

For balance reasons, I allow my PCs to have a stat not exceeding the number 60, with middle numbers encouraged (40-60 is ideal for the sake of general balance).

The higher your stat, the more competent you are considered. Here's a basic idea:

1: Hopeless; untrained; incapable; useless
20: Beginner; apprentice
40: Competent; journeyman
60: Proficient; master
80: Legend; hero

I personally elect to cap the stats I allow for characters attending to my events at 60, with a single character having no more than a combined value of 100 between PHY and MAG. In other words, if my character were to have 60 MAG, they'd be able to have no more than 40 PHY. This is to introduce an element of mathematical balance, allowing for simulating chaos and providing challenge to player characters.

To roll your stat, you roll between your stat value and 100. For instance, if you have a PHY of 40, you /roll 40-100.

This is why higher base stats are much, much more potent than lower stats. A character with a base stat of 80 is practically god-like, given they have a 100% chance to roll 80 or higher in an opposing roll (or 50% chance to roll higher than 90). If opposed by a character with a base stat of 50, this character would have a 60% chance to roll higher than 80, or 20% chance to roll higher than 90, giving the character with the higher base stat a dramatic edge that can be very, very un-fun to RP out.

(TLDR of the above: don't choose too high base stats if you're want to have competitive fun with other players or monsters.)

Once again I will emphasise that this is RP-driven. The rolls are meant to put your RP emote into numbers. A single emote is meant to contain a single moment's sequence of actions, containing no more than what a character can do in a very short amount of time: typically, this is one or two attacks or equivalent actions (though some monsters with more arms or heads, such as Shivarra or two-headed ogres, might be capable of doing more). Given this is RP-driven, 'buffs' (any form of assisting someone, physically or magically) and 'debuffs' (the opposite, from untied shoelaces to curses) are also a 'thing'. In these cases, the DM (me) can elect to give a hidden or overt bonus or penalty to subjects of such effects.

Here's some roll examples and scenarios, to visualise situations better.

Example 1: Nomine charges at his foe, aiming for a thrust with his rapier that is followed with a cut by his off-hand dagger.

(Here, Nomine will make two PHY rolls, as he uses both of his hands to attack; if he had one weapon, or tried to attack with just one, he would do one roll instead. The defender can opt to defend physically with their own PHY, or magically with their own MAG, against each attack, and as such make two defending rolls)

Example 2: Lumi closes her eyes as she utters a prayer. Her hands make mystical gestures as the Light emanates from them. Nomine suddenly finds himself in a barrier of Holy Light.

(Here, Lumi cast Power Word: Shield on Nomine. She doesn't need to make a roll now, but next time Nomine fails to dodge or block an attack, Lumi can roll her MAG stat in a defence roll. If she succeeds, the PW: Shield will absorb the hit. Whether she succeeds or fails, the DM can elect to have the spell end afterwards.)

Example 3: Chit darts up from the ground. Though disarmed, she throws sand into her opponent's eyes!

(This is rather straightforward: Chit will do a PHY attack roll against her opponent, even though she is unarmed and isn't trying to hurt them. If she succeeds, her opponent will be assigned some form of penalty to simulate their impaired vision, such as a flat decrease of both their stats for one or two rounds.)

Example 4: Stoen is trying to push a large crate with no success. Seeing their comrade struggle, Mary and Lylieth start pushing as well.

(Here, Stoen would normally make a PHY roll to see if he can move the object. Before he does so, Mary and Lylieth will roll PHY of their own. If they succeed (at the DM's behest) Stoen will receive a bonus to his own roll for each of the two characters assisting.)

Example 5: Taking his time, Jasdevi begins to gather arcane energy, uttering an incantation with a low voice.

(Here, Jasdevi is preparing to make a powerful attack, but elects to not do it in the same emote/turn. As such, he does not roll. However, next turn the DM might assign his attack roll a hidden bonus to simulate the better preparation.)

Some quick Q&A:
How do I roll?
You make a roll between your stat value and 100. For instance, if you want to make a PHY roll and your character has a PHY value of 40, you will /roll 40-100.

When do I need to roll?
Every time you are trying to do something without the luxury of time to back it up, and failing will have direct consequences. Typically this is an attack, to climb a wall while you are being chased, and so forth. You always roll after you do your RP emote: the resolution is dependent on the result and the DM's decision.

Can I dodge a spell? Can I defend against a physical attack with my magic?
Yes. You will thus make a defence roll with the appropriate stat, PHY or MAG, regardless of the nature of the attack.

My character can't use magic! Do I still have a MAG stat?
Yes, even though you might never actually need to use it. At specific moments, it might represent mental faculty, or other non-physical ability, which can come in handy against things such as mind attacks. However, your character still can't use magic.

Umm... When do I know that my character is wounded/knocked unconscious/dead?
If you have been observant by now, you will have noticed there is no mention of 'health' or 'hit points' of any sort. PC health status is at the behest and good will of their player. Please use common sense, and act based on the individual character as well as the ongoing RP. Similarly, NPC health is at the behest and good will of the DM.

How many things can I do in an emote, and roll for?
It is preferred that you do one or two actions at most, with some room for movement. Your character may stand up or move, and attack before, after, or before and after their actions, making the appropriate number of rolls (no more than two, obviously).

My character has [insert item or condition], which is important to my RP. Does this influence things?
Yes - on the DM's end, not yours. You will make rolls as normal, and I will add to or substract from your relevant rolls to simulate the circumstances, such as a large shield, temporary blindness, or a powerful magic item.

My character has a combat companion/minion/pet! What do I do?
Your companion has their own turn, shared with your own; as such you can emote for either or both characters. If it is an individual character, they can be given their own stats. If it is a magical summon, they will use the summoner's magic stat for all rolls. Such characters have the same emote limitations and expectations. If you control entire swarms of minions/pets/etc, the entire swarm is treated as one character for the purposes of emoting and rolling.

What are the maximum stats my character can have?
Your stats may not exceed 100 'points' when combined, divided as you wish between PHY and MAG. An individual stat can't exceed 60 'points' however.

Got more questions? Post below, or ask me on Skype.