The passing of a friend

Moderators: Chit, Officer

Nomine
Site Admin

The passing of a friend

#1 Post by Nomine » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:31 pm

It is with heavy heart that I write this post, for a man I never meet but knew so well.
At 23:45 November 18th, we lost a friend in Ibelin Redmore, the player who guided him and other characters passed away.

I got to know him through the game World of Warcraft, where he was a key member of Starlight for many years. Saying "Key member" sounds cold in a way, as he was a good supportive person that was there for others, he struggled like all of us with overcoming challenges and finding his voice, but he never lost his optimism. He never stopped being somebody you could trust to simply be there.

It matters a lot that, to be somebody who is there for others. He was there for me, for the guild and many more.
As a person he drew others towards Starlight and later when Starlight separated for a time, he invited others to join in shared experiences and adventure in different games. Making sure that people did not lose touch with each other, and the community that gave us all so much over many years.

There is many I could share from roleplay and conversations with him, I choose to mirror his own words to me; from when we closed Starlight.

"Dear Ibelin. Thank you for being part of this band with crazy people for all these years. We could always count on you when it was needed. We did not interact as often as we could have, but the times we did I was impressed by your willingness to take your character seriously and making him feel real; the character you had created in Ibelin.
Our shared time have been far to brief, your memory lives on within us all, Thank you for the good times!

Then there is this picture, taken when Starlight gathered in Denmark in 2013. Ibelin could not be with us in the Flesh but he was part of our gathering via the computer.
Starlight and ibelin.jpg
A video from the same gathering: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2leimccyacl7w ... K.AVI?dl=0

His blogg and where the family posted the message regarding his passing http://musingslif.blogspot.dk/2014/11/t ... loved.html

The 23.11; during the guildmeeting we will dedicate time to remember our dear friend, and I welcome any remembrances of him, be it here or in game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garett

Re: The passing of a friend

#2 Post by Garett » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:11 pm

I am not sure how to properly word this or if there is anything I can say about hearing about Mats.
I came to know him through World of Warcraft and our characters Roleplayed against each other for many years, I think about 7 or 8 in total.
He brought me great joy and we had many many laughs, I never got the chance to meet him face to face but could always tell he was a warmhearted and caring person, always there to talk to or plan something with.

It is truly awful when someone so lovely leaves this world, however the times we have had together and the great stories we've created I will never forget.
I'll always remember him as my rival and a good friend.

From Dan but he knew me best as Garett.

Jasdevi

#3 Post by Jasdevi » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Mats and i met through Starlight, He knew me as Jas and i knew him as Ibelin/Jerome, though we had our differences at times i like to think we got along well. I remember him always being one of the few to show up each time he could. He was always so enthusiastic and imaginative. He brought joy to many people and now thinking back on some of the memories we shared he always was there to encourage us.

The Mats i knew behind the character was a very caring and optimistic man. Always looking to join in the fun when he could. I remember many nights where he joined us on Ventrilo conversations and every so often we'd hear the sound of him laughing away at us acting like idiots. I tried to be there for him at times in the bad moments as he was for me.

It is sad that he has passed and i hope it has brought him peace. The video Nomine posted was one of many nights which had us siting around a laptop laughing and having fun but that one is my most favoured of the memories.

To his family i wish all the best and hope that memories of Mats bring them joy rather than sadness.

To the guild i apologise that i will not be able to attend but my thoughts will be with you all.

My Deepest Sympathies

Gavin / Jasdevi

Hadravar

#4 Post by Hadravar » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:09 pm

I remember Ibelin very fondly, and I'm very sad to hear he's passed away now. I may not have been a Starlight member, and more of your enemy, I remember him quite clearly as one of the core Starlight people, someone who was always friendly.

I hope he will have a good journey, and that he will be free. For his parents, friends, and family of all possible meaning, I hope they will overcome the grief and are left with the good memories and happy moments.

Bye bye Ibelin, bye bye
Last edited by Hadravar on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

milwin

#5 Post by milwin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:26 pm

This is terrible. Ibelin. I am not going to write much. Can't really. I watched the video. I remember him saying that he was so happy with Ibelin because as Ibelin he could walk and so on. He wrote nine blogs about himself and in them he made it so clear how he felt.

Bye Ibelin.
"Well colour me green and call me a Murloc" - Goodbye Ibelin.

Sehlanna

#6 Post by Sehlanna » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:05 pm

It's amazing how a game like WoW can bring a group of people together the way it has in our guild Starlight. Ibelin was a big part of Starlight, and it felt like he was almost always there helping out in character or joking around out of character and vice versa. I will fondly remember my character, Rain, punching his character, Jerome, and also I remember how Ibelin wanted to help my character Sehlanna when she was troubled. It's hard to understand how much a person can touch others even without ever meeting in person. Mats touched many people through WoW, and his memory will live on through all those people and especially through us in Starlight. Be proud of your amazing son and brother. He will be missed.

Ninna

Syrawenn

#7 Post by Syrawenn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:15 pm

And there it is on the site, only two weeks ago him writing to be so happy and enthusiastic about getting back into the game, into Starlight.

I find myself at a complete loss for words.
And angry, to be honest.
What the bleep is wrong in a world where wonderful people die so young.

It's the Syra in me, I guess.
The same Syra that loved to fight with Ibs cause he was such great sport at being baited.

Wow, I'm sorry for the lack of sensitivity here, but I am truly pissed off.
He deserved MUCH better and MUCH more.

But I guess he went into a different kind of Starlight.
Way ahead of us.

Twinkle, twinkle, Ibs.
You'll make a nice star.
And damnit, I will miss you terribly.

Ibelinsfather

#8 Post by Ibelinsfather » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Dear All Friends and Foes of Ibelin Redmore and Jerome,

Thank you for your kind words, thank you for your presence in the life of Mats (the player behind Ibelin and Jerome) and a special thanks to Nomine for creating this post.

By writing the final chapter in Mats' blog we were hoping to come in contact with Mats' friends from his World of Warcraft universe. For the last 10 years of his life WoW was his - and especially Ibelin's most important social network. Thereby the people behind the role playing avatars in WoW - and especially in the guild of Starlight - became amongst the closest friends in Mats' life.

With Roumor Mats experienced his first love in real life. With Stoen Mats experienced the true friendship of a stuttering dwarf. And with Nomine he experienced respected leadership in a womaniser :D ;) .

As we never had an account in WoW, but only served as sporadic by-sitters and eager listeners of the different stories that unveiled in this fantastic world, we had limited possibilities to get in contact with his WoW companions when Mats left us so suddenly.

Through this post you made this possible for us - and for this we thank you!

Through this post we also get an insight into a different Mats then the one we knew - for which we appreciate.

We would very much like to hear more about his life with you throughout all these years and the Mats you met and experienced. Either here or through a direct mail (Robert@schibsted.no).

The life in Starlight meant everything to Mats

His last days and hours was very peaceful and Mats have now found his rest. At the same time it hurts so much!

With this post I also honour his last wish: "Tell my friends what has happened, tell them I loved them and that they made my life different. Tell them all goodbye."

From his mother (Trude), his sister (Mia) and me (Robert - his father):

A BIG THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO MADE A DIFFERENCE FOR MATS AND FOR US!

Baermann

#9 Post by Baermann » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:45 pm

So strange how you meet, if though briefly, in a game that has you safe behind a keyboard. Safe, or so you thought. Life's little irony.
I'm at a loss for words.

May you find a better place, do the things you could never do.
For all who miss him, find heart in that he was there.

Syrawenn

#10 Post by Syrawenn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:52 pm

Dear sir,

Thank you so much for letting us know.
Thank you for sharing his words.

Do we still have ANY of the Legacy stories on file somewhere? Anyone? Why oh why did the old forum disappear on us...

I will do my utter best to put some of our encounters into words in hopes that some day it will bring you all a smile where now only tears may fall.

Thank you for having given him a chance to meet us through a virtual world.
May dreams and stories keep him alive beyond the body that could not sustain him.

Sanneke/Syra