A Golden Opportunity - EVENT FEEDBACK!

Events and competitions both ic and ooc and good practice in staging events

Moderator: Seneschal

Salsaberry

A Golden Opportunity - EVENT FEEDBACK!

#1 Post by Salsaberry » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:39 pm

Yo guys! Ava here, I'd love to hear the feedback for my event on the 24/06.
Please don't hold back, I want to improve and would like to hear everyone's critique of what went well and what I could improve upon!

Syrawenn
Seneschal

Re: A Golden Opportunity - EVENT FEEDBACK!

#2 Post by Syrawenn » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:00 pm

I wasn't there, but can I start by at least noting how much I enjoy your view on events and the energy you put in there? It is wonderful to have you enjoying organizing something like this!
Wilsby: "She's the energy ya never knew ya needed."
Kien: "How come a warrior who thrives on rage never seems to get half as much in a fight as Syra does in an average conversation?"

Nomine
Site Admin

#3 Post by Nomine » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:50 pm

I think it was a well crafted event, with a clear goal and focus - I always think events are at their best when it is can be stripped down and explained in 1-2 sentences otherwise it is easy to lose the drive of an event.
Good introduction to the planned action/as well as the rules, with good use of NPCs to force action to move forward.

Having the system in the "about" section of totalRP, which I think is a very good idea and one I might copy myself. It stops people from having to go to out of WoW to clear things up/check on the rules.

Anadelonbrin
Seneschal

#4 Post by Anadelonbrin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 pm

I liked the idea and the execution, both from the side of arrangement and how the situation ended up getting solved.

As Nomine points out, it was useful to have the rules/rolls in your description.

Good placement of raid markers to explain who was where.

I liked how it escalated with Feathers getting spotted and shot at when they didn't move after being warned. Shows that actions have consequences.

One of my favourite things was that we had plenty of options for how to solve it, but that there was still a ticking timer so to speak. We couldn't just stand there and discuss what to do all night. And we were not forced to run in guns blazing. That the only blood shed was on our side felt fair in the circumstances. It wasn't a life or death situation to begin with, but could quickly escalate to one if certain choices were made. The option not to kill was refreshing in a hostile situation. Sure, there may be some sore heads and the odd black eye, and quite possibly some wounded pride, but no orphans from this one!

If there's anything I could think of for improvement, it's to maybe wait with descriptions til after people have actually checked IC. Like the contents of the chest. Knowing OOC beforehand may inadvertently affect how people choose to RP it out. It was only 2 things I can think of during the whole event, so it's not like it made much of a difference. More for future reference.

All in all, I had lots of fun and would totally go again.

Chit
Seneschal

#5 Post by Chit » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:14 pm

Nice event, not too complex which was good for a weekday night when there is work tomorrow, because it didn't take too long.

What made a good impression:
  • How we got there and back - there was an ic plan which was 'carried out' but we took a shortcut to save time.
  • The description of the scene that met our eyes. Loved the way you hurried it along by having a guy needing to pee and peering at Feathers on the nearby island and shooting at him! I love prosaic touches in a high drama setting.
  • In some events you need to react fast to events. I liked that this was different - we were able to plan - that meant everyone had a role and a part to play in it, based on their special skills. Like Ana says, a pressure to act soon, but not so great it disrupted planning completely.
  • I liked the fact that Chit's question on killing led to 'No killing' - and both the moral and highly practical reasons why killing is a bad thing. This is where each individual adds to the tapestry by their comments, 'the kind of guild Starlight is'.
  • The chest being way too heavy to lift - that made us vulnerable.
  • I liked the way you didn't dwell on minor confusions but swept us along with it.
  • The instructions and rolls were very clear.
  • I liked that there was time for the after play on the docks.
  • I was stunned that you could play your character while also DMing!

Possible improvements:
  • I have difficulty in situations where there are both real (game provided) and imaginary components (the markers). I get confused about what's 'real' in this situation. This led to Chit sapping one of the game characters rather than one of the marker characters - her plan was to get in position, then attack. I'm not sure how to solve this, except in future I'll ask exactly what is there.
  • I liked that you used a rolling system you were used to, and explained it at the start. That allowed you to focus on getting to grips with any differences in playstyle. One of the things SL is good at is cooperative rp and taking hits without being overdramatic. The bear getting shot in the rump being an example!
  • I felt that having to respond to everyone's roll may have been stressful and slowed things down in the heat of the action when everyone was rolling at once. Would be interested to see if the rolling system Nomine is experimenting with might help - where you emote both your own attack and the mobs response based on how you rolled. Will link the thread below.
  • We maybe needed to agree at the start to speak and emote in /raid when scattered, as when people spread out the DM could lose track of such a large group. But because it was a small island, it was rarely needed.
I'm very happy to have had this event put up and go so smoothly - thanks for thinking of it and putting it out there. I hope YOU had fun!

The rolls thread is here. viewtopic.php?f=83&t=936#p7443