Feedback, A feast for the Stars

Events and competitions both ic and ooc and good practice in staging events

Moderator: Seneschal

Tikál
Seneschal

Feedback, A feast for the Stars

#1 Post by Tikál » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:43 pm

We would love to hear the feedback for this still ongoing event.

How did you feel about the 4th wall barrier being removed?

What things will this ongoing event inspire for character growth, or plotting?

Would you like to see more of these experimental mechanics?
If you only ever do what you can do, you will never be more than what you already are.

Eritis

Re: Feedback, A feast for the Stars

#2 Post by Eritis » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:53 pm

As I said after the event itself, the event had a slow start but ended up becoming more and more silly as people got the hang of it and realized what was really happening.

I think that the 'cut aways' for characters to share their thoughts were an interesting idea that work really well for this type of event.
While it wouldn't work for anything story heavy or something linear, it was perfect for this type of event where the main deal was just "Hang out and see what happens."
It also allowed for a way to express the paranoia more.

For Eritis, I played it as that it wasn't affecting him too heavily since he didn't drink or eat much, having only had half a glass of wine.
Of course, if anyone were to say the word I've chosen now to be his trigger word, it would come out more noticeably.
I feel that this had a lot of potential for character growth through the idea of things being let out as a slip of tongue.
It can also possibly end up helping people with dealing with pre existing paranoia or similar opinions towards other characters if it were to come up.

I personally say that I would like to see more experimentation with both events and the mechanics.
While it is easy to say afterwards that a neat idea doesn't work in practice, we never know until we try it out.
Taking risks can end up leading to big pay offs and potentially even reoccurring mechanics!
As someone who has a mechanic set aside for an event storyline I have that could fall under experimental, I am quite interested in seeing what more can be concocted ^^

The event was quite enjoyable and the company was very lovely.
A big thank you to Ana and Tikal for holding it! <3

Anadelonbrin
Seneschal

#3 Post by Anadelonbrin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:16 pm

Big thanks to everyone who participated!

For my own part, I'm so glad Tiks dragged me into this. I had a lot of fun both cooking up ideas with Tiks and playing Karl. He's possibly the most hopeless character I've ever played, and it's such a nice break from other stuff. He's my tragicomic relief. ^^

I was curious to see how people would pick up on the 4th wall part of it, and I think it's one of those things you have to just try doing rather than think too much about. To me, it felt like short entries of the forum journals, except in real time, and I really liked it.

Just like Anomen says, I don't think it's necessarily something that would work in a more linear event, but for this, I enjoyed it. I especially like how it offers a sort of speaker voice for characters who might not be interacting most with whatever the content is. Having a main character who is first and foremost a watcher, I can see how it would give other players insight into my character much like the inner dialogue of a book or a movie.

As a roleplayer, I've gone from a strictly IC perspective to more and more appreciating the meta perspective. I no longer have the time, energy and focus to RP for hours and hours every day, but as a player, I've sort of widened the horizon for how RP can be seen and interacted with in more than one way.

Had this come up 15 years ago, I might have found the idea ridiculous and thought that it was nothing but serving metagaming options on a silver platter. Today, it feels more like the way the conversation flows around the table while doing pen and paper roleplay. It's definitely a different variation of immersion.

Tikál
Seneschal

#4 Post by Tikál » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:26 pm

I am glad that Ana accepted my forced invitation to this :D Bouncing my ideas of her made them come alive.
We tried to keep this as sandbox as possible, just giving little nudges to keep people interacting.

I enjoyed the 4th wall breaking, as it still fit in with emersion as it just felt like characters talking directly to players and no one else could hear :D
So we had insight into the thinking of characters and chance to concoct a way to bring it out IC without being direct.

I am glad that people came along and adapted quickly to the mechanic and even used it to reveal their enjoyment of the incoming train wrecks etc :)
If you only ever do what you can do, you will never be more than what you already are.

Chit
Seneschal

#5 Post by Chit » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:11 pm

How did you feel about the 4th wall barrier being removed?
I loved the chance to experiment, especially as I see the removal of the 4th wall as being what the journals also provide. This was the perfect event for trying out something new, because it was fairly low stakes, there wasn't a lot to accomplish in the space of time allotted, and so there was little pressure and we could explore at leisure. It was really good having Ailu as a runner/player who could demonstrate the mechanic (watching it happen is so much more compelling than explaining in words). Chit was happy to be First Follower to give impetus - and everyone used it in a slightly different way which was great to see. I don't think we are half-finished with this mechanic - I'd love to see someone experiment with it in a very different environment!

What things will this ongoing event inspire for character growth, or plotting?
I'm not really going with the ongoing element. Ongoing stuff is good, so I applaud including it! But because the impact was paranoia, I didn't want to rp conflict and suspicion of Starlighters on an ongoing basis in these already tough times (a previous event we had where cursed clothing affected people in an ongoing way was different because each person chose how they were affected, so there were a range of impacts). The food has impacted Chit though, as she is wearing a very dodgy necklace to avoid the bad thoughts, and that has its own impact.

Would you like to see more of these experimental mechanics?
Yes! This is the whole aim of the Storytellers' Initiative, to get us having fun with experimenting. But not forgetting that trying out a mechanic once is not the end of it - I'd like to see this one in other guises too.