Writing competition "Old Age"

Events and competitions both ic and ooc and good practice in staging events

Moderator: Seneschal

Nomine
Site Admin

#1 Post by Nomine » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:09 pm

Old age is the theme, we want you to write a story set into the future of the character, but what "old age" means for you, your character is open for interpretation. After all, a Night elf does not age like a human or any other race does.

Rules:
The competition runs from 08.06.2020 to 1.08.2020
Please link your story or thread here to this thread so that we can find your entires. If you start a new thread for your story, please use "Old Age" in the title, like "A golden dawn ((Old age)), so we can find it. The story itself can be posted in the regular place (Character Journals/Diaries and Stories)

We will give bonus points for using other characters or weaving in references to the stories written by others (please ask for permission). Neither is required to win, however.
You can post your story in bits and pieces - we will count the entry as it stands at 23:59 the 01.08. This is to make it possible to work with other writers or collaborate on a setting or scene.

Prizes:
We will select three winners, The first place winner chooses the prize they want, then the second place, then third.
A piece of character art drawn by Phillias
30 days game time
50 000 in game gold.

Inspiration:
Logan - the movie or "Wolverine Old-Man Logan
Limelight (Charlie Chaplins movie)
Creed (Looking at the Rocky character)
Red
Bilbo Baggins (After the ring)
Obi-Wan Kenobi - Star Wars
Terminator Dark Fate (Linda Hamilton...)
and many more stories that all focuses on an a character with a rich history.

How Nomine`s piece would have started:
"I know that the chance of surviving is slim at best; most of the places and people I have fought for are gone, reckon most of the people watching the card game would not even blink in recognition of the names if I shouted them from the top of my lungs."
Just the other night, I had a very drunken and very sincere nobleman tell me that things had changed, that I was a silly old fool, this was no longer a world for heroes and big grand plans, all I was going to do was to get myself and any who went with me killed. He still invested in the venture by the end of the night."
It has been years, I have kept my head down long enough.

Persuading nobles and merchants to invest in this grand-plan of mine is all nice and grand, but gold alone won't get me the resources I need. That takes favours, signatures, stamps to be pressed down on expensive papers by very important people—the kind of important people who are gathered around this table tonight playing cards. Half of them are wise enough to recognize an old card shark like me and would not bet against me. That's the half that bribed me to deal them a winning hand tonight, the half that will play like they got the dealer on their side.
Then there is the other half, skilled and lucky enough at cards to make you believe the Gods are in their corner. Considering where they are in life, that might even be true. These ones, they are honest, never had to learn how to cheat, virtuous even.

One of them is my man at this card table, but he doesn't know that he is my man yet, just like he don't know that he will take home the final pot. For now, I got to keep everybody playing, bleed everybody just enough to make the sharks come out, make them hungry for that big victory.

Anomen
Pathfinder

Re: Writing competition "Old Age"

#2 Post by Anomen » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:04 pm

This message was sponsored and double-checked by Pagmir's Court of Critters. If you need to get something done right, contact someone else. But if you want it done horribly yet hilarious, Pagmir's Court of Critters is perfect for you!

Philias
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Philias » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Last edited by Philias on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darthias

#4 Post by Darthias » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:57 pm

Is there a word-count limit to story entries?

Nomine
Site Admin

#5 Post by Nomine » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:24 pm

No word count :)

Salsaberry

#6 Post by Salsaberry » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:03 pm

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=1545

Here's my submission for the contest.

Nëm

#7 Post by Nëm » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:48 am

Syrawenn
Seneschal

#8 Post by Syrawenn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:39 pm

Wilsby: "She's the energy ya never knew ya needed."
Kien: "How come a warrior who thrives on rage never seems to get half as much in a fight as Syra does in an average conversation?"

Anadelonbrin
Seneschal

#9 Post by Anadelonbrin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:30 pm