Starlight's writing competition

Where we post competitions and entries.

Moderator: Seneschal

Reike

Starlight's writing competition

#1 Post by Reike » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:58 am

Starlight’s writing contest.

IT’s about that time again – you know we haven’t had one in a while. Now, we, Zarcon and Reike, have decided to work together about a writing competition.
We won’t go looking for your spelling errors, so don’t be afraid if your spelling isn’t what you think is good enough.
We want you to take a look at the picture provided; tell us in a story of 500 to a max of 2000 word count, what happened.

Why is he/she there?
Is it a he/she, maybe an it?
How did he/she get there?
Why did he/she die?
Is it something completely different?

Anything you can think of to make a good story. The only limit is your own fantasy and the challenge further down.

The competition runs from June the 7’Th to July the 7’Th.

Then we will use two weeks to run through the stories. The story needs to be posted on Starlight forum’s website under the competition designated for this.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1210#p6729 this is where to post your entries! If not posted there, they're not to be regarded in the competition.

So the challenge is this:

Write a story of a word-count from 500 words to a max of 2000 words.
The setting is World of Warcraft. (If you want the specific region it is Stormheim this is not needed to be included, it’s just that extra bit of information.)
It needs to revolve around the picture provided.

Deadline: 7’Th of July 2017

ALL members of Argent Dawn community can take part in the writing competition.

What is the prize?
1’st Prize
20’000 gold.
2’nd Prize
10’000 gold.
3’rd Prize
5’000 gold.

How to make an entry?
You go to viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1210#p6729 , on this link, post your story there. We will make contact to the person via the ingame mailingsystem, but first and foremost we will be posting it here. So we need you to post your charaters name, not the IC name. We also need for you to state if you’re Horde or Alliance, so we know which actions to take, as we’re an alliance guild, and have to go through a wee bit of technical things to get the gold to the other side.

THIS IS NOT AN IC WRITING COMPETITION

On behalf of Starlight,
Zarcon and Reike.

Syrawenn
Seneschal

Re: Starlight's writing competition

#2 Post by Syrawenn » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:51 pm

I have a question: does it HAVE to be Stormheim? I kinda have an idea set in a very different area, but befitting the pic :)
Wilsby: "She's the energy ya never knew ya needed."
Kien: "How come a warrior who thrives on rage never seems to get half as much in a fight as Syra does in an average conversation?"

Reike

#3 Post by Reike » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:36 pm

No it doesn't HAVE to be in Stormheim, it has to be in WoW though.

Reike

#4 Post by Reike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:45 pm

First price goes to:
Parsley

Second place goes to:
Elurii

Third place goes to:
Lyssea!

Thank you all for taking part!

Irenya

#5 Post by Irenya » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:22 pm

I would like to thank all participants for providing such great stories! They were all different and fun to read. They all had some interesting plots and it was very difficult to make a decision in the end.

Parsley, you did fantastic job of telling a story that couldn't possibly be more "dwarflike". I laughed when reading it. The plot was simple yet unexpected as I really hoped the dwarf would make it further at the beginning of the story :D Well done on that and congratulations!

Elurii, your entry stood out for me for its atmosphere. It was mysterious, it was somewhat melancholic. You managed to capture the feeling of that place and that moment very vividly even though the story described death. I also liked the neat language of your story.

Lyss, what can I say. I knew you were a talent the moment I got the letter from you a couple of years ago :D You know your words well. Your story was flowing nicely and the end of it provided an unexpected twist! I enjoyed reading it being almost as curious as Elliot about how it would end.

I hope to see more Starlight writings in the future ♥

Zarcon

#6 Post by Zarcon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:20 pm

First off I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who took part in this competition you all did great, they were all very good reads, it was very hard for me to select only 3 to win this

Parsley, I enjoyed reading your one as to me it stayed in character and true to what a dwarf would be like, I found it to be an entertaining read

Elurii, your story to me was one that made me sad from that start, I found it a really good read that had me hooked from that start to the end, it made me feel very sorry for the person about what had happened and that no-one would ever find out :(

Lyssea, your story was a well written piece that had me wanting to read more from line to the next line, it flowed brilliantly and left me wanting more.

As I said you all done very well and I enjoyed every minute of reading your stories, I hope when we do another one everyone will take part again and enjoy themselves :)