Fishing for Disaster

Moderator: Seneschal

Nomine
Site Admin

Fishing for Disaster

#1 Post by Nomine » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:46 pm

In the small Pandarian town, Anglers Warf - known for its signatory buildings on stilts and more importantly for great fishing. (Something that great herons in the area also have discovered, and they are not to proud steal from inattentive fishers)

So time for a small new years contests, ending in barbecue and celebratory drinks. After all, the war is slowly settling down as the armistice lasts, a new year, new beginnings - the perfect time for such simple pleasures.

OOC:
A midnight Team event, we will deal with themes as disease, biological warfare, and there is likely to be some graphic description, tied to the themes above. While there is a risk to the character, the focus on; How to deal with others willing to go to extremes, and how to ensure that dangers are contained.
Triggers: disease, biological warfare, graphic descriptions of death/biological warfare.

4th. 01.2020 - Need one NPC (Need to have a Pandarian)

Feel free to ask Nomine any questions

Nomine
Site Admin

Re: Fishing for Disaster (MT)

#2 Post by Nomine » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:32 pm

Thank you to Syrawen for playing the NPC, who only wanted a quiet day of fishing.

Event was co-designed with Anomen, using the Principle of "Come up with 6 random words, figure out how the event should end, and how to use all the words"
Accident, Purple, Gun, Lock, Magic, Voice. - Leading to a magically enhanced sickness, in purple vials (I forgot to mention they were purple), which if people accidentally touched the sick ones, the sickness would spread, needing a gun or other ranged weapon to safely kill the infected, vials kept in locked chests, and voice being key to find out what happened.

Feedback is most welcome.

Chit
Seneschal

#3 Post by Chit » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:00 am

I enjoyed the event. Loved Morrigan's instincts and preparedness, and the complexity of healing her.

The number was about right, plenty of people to mill about and not so many that we had to split up. It was good being able to speak and emote normally because we were in the same place.

I think this was a good and simple set up; the two npcs, one on the beach and one as the Last Pandaren Standing.
Got into action fast and pushed us along with critical choices allowing for less dithering than usual!

Few dice rolls which for me is a very good thing.

There was plenty of control including what to do with the vials at the end.

It kept to a very good length of time (extended a bit after the official end by differing views of where to stash the vials until they could be brought to Nomine at the guild meeting). But I much prefer 2 hours to 3 hours.

What I particularly liked was the Guild Meeting immediately afterwards, on the following day.

The tensions in the meeting about what to do with the vials saved from the boat was strong; the voting split virtually 50:50; the tension set up when half of us didn't get our strongly-held view of what should be done enacted; the spur of the moment decision to heal this tension by continuing with a part 2 - mission to find out the source. It was wonderful and was such a large group of us working together.

Anything that could be better?

I still find it hard to do the second part of what Chit does to the npc/what happens as a result. It never seems quite real, and I lose the creativity of working against someone with their own ideas of what is happening. It's currently interfering with immersion for me and I'm not sure that this part of the system works for me. I'm waiting to see if this develops with more practice.

I missed the lack of having 'Acts' - which give a chance for a bio break, or to get something to eat or drink. Not too bad, though, due to the length. I think 2 acts is quite enough. Don't need a marathon.

I think the best bit (guild meeting) required Nomine's brand of quick thinking to force a vote and creatively deal with the consequences. I loved what happened; I'm not sure I could do it.

Thanks to everyone concerned in making it happen!

Syrawenn
Seneschal

#4 Post by Syrawenn » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:33 pm

From an npc point of view: the guidelines were very clear for me. Lots of theatrical freedom. There was ample time afterwards for me to enjoy the rest of the goings on. The immediate tension at people realizing even Morrigan could get infected was good stuff.

I left when people had to move to the ship but was lucky enough to catch the aftermath during the guildmeet. MORE tension of the good kind! Well done on the follow up-promise when it was wished for. That made it palatable for the people who lost the vote. Also drawing blood from Morrigan as a 'solution'...heh...nice.

Game mechanically I noticed one instance where Noms voiced over raid that yes, he wanted people to feel the odds. I liked that. Made it so bloody obvious this wasn't fun and games.

Nomine
Site Admin

Re: Fishing for Disaster

#5 Post by Nomine » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:43 pm

Fishing for Disaster pt. 2

The cover story:
"The awful horde creatures must be made to see the light, those poor misguided unfortunate trolls, goblins and suchmore. Therefore I press upon your kindness sir, we must invite them to share in the spiritual leadership keeps both the people and the troops of Azeroth focused upon our mission of everlasting peace."

Printed on finely grained paper embossed with the sigil of a venerable noble house, signed with the name of an elder lady. Noble enough that no mere army captain would dare to question of the letter was genuine, or question why it got sent along with orders from the military high command. "Please assist this noble endeavour, ensure that the armistice is not broken."

After that, learning that the noble had hired a mercenary band to deliver the holy message was practically a relief. The captain knew how to deal with mercenaries, transporting an elderly lady would have been an unknown. Some oddities, but the captain knew better than to question orders. Questioning orders do not get a man promoted or knighted.

The mission:
A few weeks ago in Pandaria, Starlight came across fanatical horde Pandarians with an engineered plague and intent in spreading it. Using it to kill all, believing to be nobler than peace with the alliance.

Starlight burned the boat with plage vials on - but this plague must have been created somewhere. The goal is to follow the trails and make sure that there is no more of the plague there, or more people determined to create a genocide. As this needs to be kept secret, to avoid that somebody gets hold of this plague and uses it for evil intents, a holy cover story was conducted...

If there is documentation there, it is to be salvaged, same with a cure. Any vials are to be destroyed.

OOC:
We will use the simple roll system
This will be a 2 act event - with enforced breaks between the acts.
Only Starlight members -IC or OOC characters, have been invited (due to Nomine not having time to bring in more people/spare brain power)

Please turn off War Mode
Please plan for 10 min travel time - closest accessible travel points are Caverns of Time, Uldum or Southen Barrens.
The precise location will be kept secret until 19:45 server time.
Event takes place: Friday 28.02.2020 - at 20:00

Due to general interest, this is no longer an MT event.

Nomine
Site Admin

#6 Post by Nomine » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:31 am

Feedback for event 2 is very much welcome! - Feel free to post here.

Syrawenn
Seneschal

#7 Post by Syrawenn » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Once again npc-ing was fun. I had enough information to work from. The spot chosen very fitting! I very much enjoyed emoting instead of rolling with Ana and Chit.
There was some delay in the adventure, but for me this was not much of an issue. These things happen when dealing with groups. I like the open door to a possible lead where the choice is up to the players. No pressure at all. Lovely!

I will gladly die again for the good cause.

Nëm

#8 Post by Nëm » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:55 pm

Keep in mind that this was my first RP adventure/mission in WoW ever.

Overall, I enjoyed it and thought it was exciting. I think there could've been slightly less travelling and slightly more action or at least a bit more exploring the cave, the vials, and so forth. I can imagine that GM'ing the action sequence must have been challenging! Personally, I was a little hesitant to act at first because there were far more seasoned RP'ers around, but Conwal being hit by the fluid was simply something that I couldn't imagine him simply shaking off and remaining in the background.

There was a sort of confusion in communication which explains why Tikal and Conwal came out of the cave so late. Tikal attacked the NPC and as Conwal was fighting the NPC as well, I also waited there to see how the situation would be resolved. I think everyone missed Tikal's actions so we ended up just standing there and waiting for a while. So we weren't just dragging our feet! I think in terms of drama, however, it was nice that they got out at the last possible opportunity.

As I said, I enjoyed it!

Anadelonbrin
Seneschal

#9 Post by Anadelonbrin » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:17 pm

I had hoped to get to interact with a few people from the Rusty Nails, but I understand why it did not happen.

The somewhat limited size of the group suited me well. I did not feel like I got lost in a wall of text, but that I could keep up with what went on. Also, having the battle split up so that I really only had to focus on three people (Ana, Chit, cultist) was helpful in that.

For me personally, there were two separate pieces of character development that happened, both weaving into Ana's recent past and more long term. One was not entirely unexpected, given the reason we were on the mission, while the other was. I learned something new about my character. It is one of my favourite things in RP when a character has taken on so much of a life of its own that it is not until after a while that I as the player realise why they react in certain ways. This was something that partially happened in the aftermath on the boat, although she did not let on the actual reasons for her distress.

I'm finding it interesting that Anomen seems to be falling into the role of mission leader. I quite like that he steps up to the role. For Ana, it is complicated. She has a history of leadership, but it is one thing to lead troops into battle or command a squad of scouts, something else entirely to go with family. The stakes are different. I really like that it's not automatically the officers who are in charge. It gives others a chance to explore their potential, and Anomen does it so well. :)

I also thought it was great that Ana was fighting with one of the enemies, attempting to subdue and silence without killing (just a wee bit of gruesome maiming) and then Chit steps in and just finishes the job in one discrete efficient movement. No hassle. No nonsense.

Nomine
Site Admin

#10 Post by Nomine » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:21 pm

There was a sort of confusion in communication which explains why Tikal and Conwal came out of the cave so late. Tikal attacked the NPC and as Conwal was fighting the NPC as well, I also waited there to see how the situation would be resolved. I think everyone missed Tikal's actions so we ended up just standing there and waiting for a while. So we weren't just dragging our feet! I think in terms of drama, however, it was nice that they got out at the last possible opportunity.
From the GM side it was clear why you where late in leaving the "cave" so no feeling of dragging feet.
From the GM side - there needed to be consequences for setting the cave on fire, at the same time as a GM I want to avoid long-drawnout fights, I try to keep confrontations 3 rounds (e.g. everybody have a chance to do something)
So in this case, it made sense to let the burning cave be the trigger to leave the cave, and escalate the danger of remaining in the cave - also pushing towards an resolution of the fight.

Now this resolution might not have made it clear what happened to the enemy, the lab, etc. Since it burned down, some answers are unknown. :)