Less sugar/sweets "challenge"

For healthy, fitness and such. In other words everything from diet tips, motivation for exercise, sharing of experiences and more.

Moderators: Chit, Officer

Nomine
Site Admin

Re: Less sugar/sweets "challenge"

#11 Post by Nomine » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:06 am

On my end, total failure :D
I need to pick up chrome.

Chit

#12 Post by Chit » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:17 pm

My doc has said I have diabetes, but I think it's too soon to say. I have to have a parathyroid gland removed in a short op, and apparently having too high parathyroid hormone levels --> insulin resistance. We'll see if this improved after my op in October. However, this does mean that I have to avoid sugar right now, or at any rate go for slowly absorbed sugars like fruit or wholemeal/high fibre carbs.

Best things I've found are cheese wholemeal scones, they are so yummy and much better for me. I make my own and am going to make them with spelt flour for added fibre. I have one hot before going to bed, and it does that calming carb thing so I sleep better.

When I get desperate for sugar, I have a big square of Lindt dark chocolate with hazlenuts. Ideally followed by a scone or piece of wholemeal bread and peanut butter.

It may be that the thing is to first lower the sugar rushes (eg only eat sweet things with a meal or plenty of fibre) and then start cutting it out?

Sehlanna

#13 Post by Sehlanna » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:54 am

That is a good idea; to have the sweet thing with a meal. Do you have jam with the scone, and could you share the recipe? :)

I have a Lindt dark chocolate with mint, because the mint taste helps a bit too. I also sometimes make tea that have cinnamon, because the scent and taste reminds me of cinnamon rolls and makes it feel like I'm having something sweet.

Chit

#14 Post by Chit » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:26 pm

The recipe I use is here, although I like it better with the spelt flour which is very wholemeal. I added an 80 gm packet of fine grated parmesan from my supermarket on top of the strong cheddar to make it really cheesy (though the recipe as it stands is nice too). (I go a bit heavy on the cayenne pepper too.)

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/159 ... ese-scones

Another one for me is cherries, which I found out are much lower GL than you'd think. I regard them as my chocolates, and take 6-8 from the fridge and eat them over the course of a day. Again, usually with other non-sugary food.

I'll try the Lindt mint chocolate! With chocolate I find it coats the tongue which tempts me to have more. A celery stick is a great palate cleanser!